Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Future Details: Times, Places and Hairs!

My thoughts turn at times to wondering about the future - what will my life look like in 3 years, or a year or even next month or tomorrow? It is fun to contemplate the possibilities! But, at the same time, it's tempting for me to worry about the future and try to plan the details of how things will work. However, even as I start to worry, at the same time I am sure that God will work out the details.

I read a cool verse the other day in Acts 17:26 "From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live."

I have no trouble believing that God has an overall plan for humanity, but this verse to me is a needed reminder that God does indeed know each one of us and knows the exact places where we should live - that's very specific (and somehow seems more useful than knowing the number of hairs on our heads or that the sparrow has fallen). Nothing will take God by surprise. I could never have guessed many of the events of this past year and we most likely will not know future events in our lives before we live them. However, we do know that the One who know it all is completely trustworthy and is using events in the lives of those who love Him for good.

One more verse before I close - I noticed a verse that states in a great way the kind of focused purpose I would like my life to have. Jeremiah 32:39 "I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them."

This verse is talking about what God is going to do for Israel when he brings them back from all the lands where they were banished. I guess you could say it's a purpose that He will give to them. Maybe it's a purpose I can strive to have now. How can it be lived out? That's a question that may take a lifetime to answer.

3 comments:

Victoria Anne said...

yxb

Victoria Anne said...

Actually, I did not say "yxb", I tried to say:

Beautiful !

I love you dear, Miriam.

Love, Mom

Lydia said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I like the verse you shared about God knowing the times and places that we would be and how you related it to the verse about the hairs of our head. It's comforting to know that God knows just where we are and that he has us here for a good purpose!
Hope your trip to Ohio went well!
Love,
Lydia