Friday, September 19, 2008

How to Earn $360 an Hour

I would not have believed it unless I saw it, but it's true. You can indeed earn 360$ an hour through a phone call (if only every once in a while). Part of getting married for us involved joining our individual Verizon Wireless cell phone plans. Thankfully, both of us have used Verizon for years and have enjoyed being able to talk "for free" during our many months of the long distance relationship. But as we were about to join our lives with one another, we chose to join our Verizon plans a couple weeks before the wedding. Using the family share plan saves us around $10 a month, so it made sense to us (and it reduces the number of bills we pay as well).

Well, we merged plans a couple weeks before the wedding and I went on a talking spree and used more minutes in the last couple weeks of August and beginning of September than I had ever used in a month before (386). John used 196 minutes during this period and with only half a month's minutes between the two of us, we owed an additional $90 for all the extra talking.


When I got the bill, I was shocked but resigned that I just lost $90 for my lack of forethought and all that talking. The talking was worth $90 to me and I wouldn't have changed anything, but still I wasn't happy to have spent so much on a phone bill.

John however was sure we wouldn't have to pay the bill. I was sure we would, but he said that if we called and explained the situation, Verizon was sure to forgive our overage. I was more than a little doubtful, and was unwilling to give it a try. Thankfully John was willing to call, and within 15 minutes he had the issue resolved!

Thank you John! Thank you Verizon! I guess talking to people often does work, though I never would have believed it without seeing it!

No comments: